11/10/08

Our cozy flat at Annecy 1996


This is our cozy flat at Annecy. It is located in the attic of a building at Place Sainte Claire in the old town.
From time to time, there were interesting performances and markets downstairs. There was even a cinema across the street which I never went because I can not understand much French then. Ce'st dommage... Oh, and the place near the red umbrella in the above photo, they sold tasty Kebab that cost 25 Franc. About 125 NTD then. Very big even for me. I thought it was expensive but look at the price we have now in Taipei...

Believe me or not. Under the tent, it is the market.


Again outside our office at Archamps. Look at the booming flowers! If I remember correctly, we were probably on our way to Geneva and stop by the office to take something. We sometimes drove to Swiss to get petrol as it was cheaper there and diesel was more expensive. Or the other way around. Anyway...


If you were born in an island country like I was in Taiwan, you will probably also have odd feelings toward the borders as you never see one alive in your country. There was never a border you can drive through in Taiwan. For work or life, I need to go pass through the Swiss/French border very frequently and to be able to do so, I need both French and Swiss Visa which I had to renew in England every three months, the longest period both French and Swiss Ambassy can grant me. This was because my work permit was issued in England. I sometimes have Passport Envy to people from other countries when I lived in France. To look at the bright side, every three month, I got the chance to visit china town at Leicester Square, London to fill my supply of ginger and soy source that I cannot find easily in my region...

No comments: